Monday, April 11, 2016

Pinewood Derby, Fun? Bullies in the last pace you expect.


My 9 year old is following in the foot steps of all kids and is going to scouts. For the second year in a row we are at the Pinewood derby and because we do it for fun like Always our Sons car came in last place again.
Last year is really need looking block of cheese came in different places but mainly last. This year his space shuttle came in dead last everything single time. You could see the disappointment and as a parent nothing is hard than watching as it happens. I would say 99% of the fathers build the are with very little input. I mean even one dad bragged to everyone he starts building his "sons" car the year before. We really don't care its just a silly race for the boys to have fun.

As the races ended my 9 year old went to another boy to congratulated him on his wins and asked to see his car. Than the other boy pushed my son and kicked him. Lets just say this momma bear was angry but my two year old was in my arms and I prayed the other mother who do something after all she was standing by her son.

She told her son try and apologize and when he didn't she just told Martin to go into the awards room. I didn't get a chance to reach the little punk and so called mom because the crowd was pushing into the other room. I told Doug who quickly went to our son to find out what happened.

If this was in and my 9 year and he did this in front of me and refused to say sorry we would leave no rewards, treats or fun in fact if my son had done that and apologized we would still go home because that is not accetpable behavior in our house,

My son is sensitive and it ruined the rest of the day for him.  The kid threw him looks scaring my son. My husband went to put a stop to it when he realized he knew the sons dad from school and knew it would only make things worse. The dad wasn't much better than the kid.

What do you do? Possible make things worse?

I grabbed one of my sons friend and we went off to take fun pictures,  I was so grateful for this other boy because he loves to be silly and brings out Martin sillier side and Martin helps him focus on studies.

When we got home my son taught me a wonderful lesson.

"Mom I could have hit him back, I could have said something really mean, I could have told him his car was stupid. I decided I didn't want to be like him. I don't want to be a bully.  It hurt my feelings and I am not sure how not to have that happen again BUT I will not be like him. I just hope he doesn't bully other kids because that's not right."

Yes I still want to take that kids apart. I want to tell that mother she is terrible to allow things like that to happen.  But than I turn into the bully. I turn into something I have been trying so hard to teach my son which is turn the other cheek when ever possible and he did that.  It hurt but he did that.

The greatest lesson as a mom is knowing that what you teach you have to do what you teach. As well as let your child grow.

We need a world filled with kids like my son willing to have compassion for others, willing to turn the other cheek when he could show that kid up, and thinking of others when he is hurt.  He is the greatest gift to me and the world.

However Next Year we are totally pulling the parent car and making a kick butt car!! In true to my son here are a few ideas he is wants to do and not one is a car.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer for all reviews sent by the publisher, publicist or author for review.

THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION (FTC) ISSUED NEW RULES THAT WENT INTO EFFECT ON DECEMBER 1, 2009. THESE RULES STATE THAT PRODUCT REVIEWERS ON BLOGS MUST DISCLOSE WHETHER THEY RECEIVED REVIEW PRODUCTS FOR FREE OR RECEIVED MONETARY PAYMENT FOR SUCH REVIEWS. PAYMENT IS NEVER ACCEPTED IN EXCHANGE FOR A REVIEW OR BOOK MENTION UNLESS NOTED IN THE POST. THE RECEIPT OF ARCS OR FREE REVIEW COPIES IN NO WAY INFLUENCES OR HAS AN IMPACT ON THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THE BOOK REVIEWS POSTED ON THIS SITE.