Friday, August 22, 2014

Book Review - Turning Grace - J Q Davis

22461683
Title:  Turning Grace

Author:  J Q Davis

Review:  My husband recommended this book to me and since he doesn't normally do that I thought I should read the book.
Turning Grace is a début Young Adult\Teen Novel by J.Q. Davis.  The book is written from the prospective of Grace your typical teenage girl. (Boys, Clothes, school and life) The difference between Grace and other girls is Grace is a Zombie.  J.Q. Davis takes a tried and overused genre and creates a new twist bring life to an almost dead genre.

Possible Spoiler.
The first chapter of the book pulled me in quickly with a missing finger and a little girl but soon I found the book to have it typical teen drama that I try avoid when it comes to YA grene. I found myself struggling to read the book because I am not the focal age group but around half way through the story the teen drama turned and the story picked up again pulling me back in. Grace likes a boy the boy has a girlfriend and the girlfriend hates Grace.  Mom and Daughter have issues only because mom is keeping secrets.  Grace soon finds she is in love with boy and the boy is in love with the Grace and will do anything to protect her.  Yup teen drama however when you mix in the fact that Grace is a Zombie and she has to be constantly eating -the story because more interesting until I find myself at the end of the book which has a cliff hanger.  I'm not a fan of this particular cliff hanger because I feel it left the story incomplete.  Grace does some horrible things to satisfy her need to eat and the author creates a kind of foreshadowing with Tristan ie. the boy- the love interest and why she doesn't ever eat him.

As a Zombie book Genre I enjoyed the new twist I hadn't read before as a YA\Teen Romance I had a more difficult time because the romance was slightly unbelievable. J.Q. Davis has this book set up as a series with her cliff hanger which I mention left me a bit sour. Again I am not the target age group for this book so what a teen might enjoy reading I disliked.

Thanks Heidi for this review


Published:  Published June 10th 2014
ISBN:  B00KWP2B00
Page Count: 242
Quick Review:  3 1/2 out 5 stars –
Why I Read this Title:  Suggestion from husband

Synopsis:   “Each taste, each mouthful awakened a part of me that I had never known. The sweet and bitter tenderness of every chew sent my body into a whirlwind…”

Grace Elizabeth Watkins is the typical 17-year-old. She is a girl with simple tastes, who enjoys nature, a gory B-rated slasher movie, and her mother’s homestyle cookin’.

A high-schooler at Middleton High, Grace experiences everything a normal girl would: A spunky best friend, a Mean Girl who hates her whole existence for no reason at all, and an unavailable crush.

But as one of her favorite nights of the year approaches, Grace soon realizes there is nothing…normal about her. There are sudden and uncontrollable changes occurring right before her eyes. Urges intensify, senses are lost, and questions soon arise as to what could be causing Grace’s life to flip upside down.

How will Grace cope with this frightening and eye-opening journey?

Turn the pages to Turning Grace and find out…
 J.Q. Davis
Author Information:   JoAnna Quintana-Davis currently resides in the desert of Southern California. Her and her husband were stationed there due to her husband's orders in the Marine Corps. She has no children, but considers her pooches, Lucy, Cassie, and Bella, her daughters. She is eagerly awaiting her return to New Orleans, Louisiana to be with her family and friends. In the meantime, she will continue to add more pages to Turning Grace.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer for all reviews sent by the publisher, publicist or author for review.

THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION (FTC) ISSUED NEW RULES THAT WENT INTO EFFECT ON DECEMBER 1, 2009. THESE RULES STATE THAT PRODUCT REVIEWERS ON BLOGS MUST DISCLOSE WHETHER THEY RECEIVED REVIEW PRODUCTS FOR FREE OR RECEIVED MONETARY PAYMENT FOR SUCH REVIEWS. PAYMENT IS NEVER ACCEPTED IN EXCHANGE FOR A REVIEW OR BOOK MENTION UNLESS NOTED IN THE POST. THE RECEIPT OF ARCS OR FREE REVIEW COPIES IN NO WAY INFLUENCES OR HAS AN IMPACT ON THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THE BOOK REVIEWS POSTED ON THIS SITE.