Thursday, April 25, 2013

Book Review - Number Cross Puzzles - Rich Rollo

Number Cross Puzzles: A Quick and Challenging Workout for Your Brain
Title:  Number Cross Puzzles: A Quick and Challenging Workout for Your Brain

Author: Rich Rollo

Review:   This reminds me of Sudoku with the way only one number can fit in the spot for all the others to fit where they need to be.  As I am starting a new puzzle my mind thinks very much like it does with Sudoku and I eliminate numbers as possibilities until I can find the number that fits.  Once I get the first few numbers the rest just need to be filled in.  I have taken this book to work with me over a few weeks and when I have a break I try to do a few puzzles.  I have tried most of the different formats with the cross numbers and have to say that I enjoy doing these quick puzzles.  I also like that I know my brain is thinking because I can almost feel the wheels cranking around trying to figure out the order the numbers will fit in.

If you like puzzles this is for you and if you feel that your brain is due for some exercise then pick up this book for something to do that is good for you.  Students in math and other classes might find these a challenge and some will give up without really trying, but a few will keep working until they come up with a strategy that works for them in solving these puzzles.

Published:  Xlibris Corporation (August 31, 2012)
ISBN: 978-1477155264
Copyright: 2012
Pages: 196
Quick Review: 5 stars (out of 5)
Where I Obtained the Book:  Sent by the publisher for review.

Synopsis:  Aside from being a great form of recreation, puzzles may help prevent Alzheimer’s disease. According to a study published in the January 23 issue of the Archives of Neurology, people who kept their brains occupied through activities like reading and playing puzzles throughout their lifetime had lower chances of developing brain plaques which in turn are tied to Alzheimer’s disease. Readers who want to start or continue the mind-stimulating hobby of playing puzzles may want to take a stab at “Number Cross Puzzles: Advanced Version Volume 1” by Rich Rollo.

Rollo’s book is a collection of several number cross puzzles that are designed to be both quick and challenging. Some of the puzzles can be completed in a matter of five minutes but each one will require users to employ their problem solving strategies and logical reasoning skills if they want to finish it. The answers are provided in separate pages so readers can check how well they finished the set.

Made for users aged eight and up, “Number Cross Puzzles: Advanced Version Volume 1” is an excellent addition to any puzzle hobbyist’s collection and a wonderful introduction to the exciting world of number cross puzzles.

Author Biography: Rich Rollo holds a Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education from Northern Illinois University and a Master’s degree in Counseling from Carthage College. He has been a teacher for 17 years and is currently teaching fifth grade mathematics in Oak Park, Illinois. He enjoys bowling, golfing and spending time with his wife, two children and three pets.

Other Reviews:  5.0 out of 5 stars puzzle lovers will LOVE this book! March 9, 2013
By E. A. Lewis
I am addicted to puzzles. I am constantly trying new games on the iPad and my phone. When I was younger I was addicted to word finds and crossword puzzles. I am NOW addicted to Rich Rollo's Number Cross Puzzles. I love that this very fun puzzle book challenges my brain in a different way than the computer based games. I love having the book in my hands, folding over the cover and trying to figure out the puzzle! Ever since I received this puzzle book it has stayed in my purse and I take it out anytime I have a few moments between activities If you are a lover of puzzles you must try this puzzle book! 5 stars!

Number Cross Puzzles are for all ages October 18, 2012
By Mimi O'C-Z
My sons and I enjoy the Number Cross Puzzles. It helps them problem solve plus have fun with numbers at the same time. We have quality family time when doing the puzzles as a team! I would highly recommend this Number Cross Puzzles book!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer for all reviews sent by the publisher, publicist or author for review.

THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION (FTC) ISSUED NEW RULES THAT WENT INTO EFFECT ON DECEMBER 1, 2009. THESE RULES STATE THAT PRODUCT REVIEWERS ON BLOGS MUST DISCLOSE WHETHER THEY RECEIVED REVIEW PRODUCTS FOR FREE OR RECEIVED MONETARY PAYMENT FOR SUCH REVIEWS. PAYMENT IS NEVER ACCEPTED IN EXCHANGE FOR A REVIEW OR BOOK MENTION UNLESS NOTED IN THE POST. THE RECEIPT OF ARCS OR FREE REVIEW COPIES IN NO WAY INFLUENCES OR HAS AN IMPACT ON THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THE BOOK REVIEWS POSTED ON THIS SITE.