Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Book Review - Sins of the Mother - Tara Hyland


Sins of the Mother: A Novel


Title:     Sins of the Mother

Review:  I really enjoyed this book.  You take a journey with the main character from when she is teenager until her death.  You see the mistakes she makes along the way as well as the triumphs and loves in her life.   Fanny is someone you can love and yet hate and think ‘Why’ all at the same time.  Her life is difficult and exciting, I love that reading allows the reader to experience so many more lifetimes then we will ever have. 

Cara, Fanny’s daughter, is a tough character with a love for life despite what life throws at her.  As the reader we are privileged to see her life unfold, seeing her mistakes and triumphs, her loves and losses.  The supporting characters are interesting and multi-faceted making the book flow well and the story exciting, making turning the next page a must.  Every time I put this book down I would still have it at the back of my mind. 

We can all relate to a family tale where love is sometimes all that holds us together, and this one will not disappoint.  I think anyone would enjoy this book, it’s over 400 pages but it is worth the journey.

Publisher: Published August 9th 2011 by Atria

ISBN: 1439165122

Copyright: 2011

Pages: 448

Quick Review: 41/2 stars (out of 5)

Why I Read It:  The publisher was looking for reviewers.

Where I Obtained the Book: Sent by the publisher.

Synopsis: From the author of Daughters of Fortune comes a sweeping family drama that follows a mother and daughter through the poverty of post-WWII Ireland and London and into the glamour of 1950s Hollywood and beyond, revealing the ways in which family ties can never be broken.

Tara Hyland is beloved by readers for her exquisite talent at weaving family sagas that journey through the rocky roads of secrets, lies, and betrayals, only to show that no challenge, no matter how difficult, can ever truly sever the bonds of love.

The novel opens in 1946, when Franny Healy is a beautiful and spirited teenager living in the poverty of County Cork, Ireland. Franny wants nothing more than to escape to the excitement of London. But when she discovers she is pregnant, her boyfriend abandons her. Undeterred, Franny flees to the city, where she finds work as a nightclub performer. She shines onstage and is soon propelled into a life she’s only dreamed of, filled with Hollywood stars, glamorous parties, furs and fashion, plus a new husband—who must never know of the daughter she left behind in County Cork with her mother.
 Tara Hyland
Author Biography:  I was born in Surrey, England, in July 1976. My writing career kicked off at the age of thirteen, when I won an award in the WHSmith Young Writer Competition. As well as netting me a cheque for £40, my short story on vengeful ghosts and reincarnation was published in an anthology along with the works of thirty other major prizewinners - one of which included future Hollywood actress Kate Beckinsale.

At nineteen, I managed to get my first by-line in a national newspaper during a work experience placement at The Times. After reading History at Gonville & Caius College, Cambridge, I worked briefly as a journalist before moving into the world of high finance. Several years later, I finally decided to pursue my first love: writing. I currently live near Tower Bridge in London with my husband, Tom, and I'm hard at work on my second novel.

Other Reviews:




2 comments:

  1. This book sounds very interesting. I like a book with a good journey and characters that you really get to know. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The relationships between the characters keeps you reading along with wanting to know what is happening in their lives. Thanks for stopping by I will return the favor.

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer for all reviews sent by the publisher, publicist or author for review.

THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION (FTC) ISSUED NEW RULES THAT WENT INTO EFFECT ON DECEMBER 1, 2009. THESE RULES STATE THAT PRODUCT REVIEWERS ON BLOGS MUST DISCLOSE WHETHER THEY RECEIVED REVIEW PRODUCTS FOR FREE OR RECEIVED MONETARY PAYMENT FOR SUCH REVIEWS. PAYMENT IS NEVER ACCEPTED IN EXCHANGE FOR A REVIEW OR BOOK MENTION UNLESS NOTED IN THE POST. THE RECEIPT OF ARCS OR FREE REVIEW COPIES IN NO WAY INFLUENCES OR HAS AN IMPACT ON THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THE BOOK REVIEWS POSTED ON THIS SITE.