Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Book Review - A Modern Witch - Debora Geary


Title:      A Modern Witch

Author:  Debora Geary

Review:  The beginning of the book was a bit confusing, but as I read I understood more and more what was going on.  The chat room sections I didn't really care for at all.  I think the amount of characters confused me, especially with names like Nell, Nat, Jeanie and Jamie.  The story was sweet, but I had to work to keep the characters straight in my head.  I come from a large family and I understand the amount of people that entails, but I do know them personally so I can keep them straight.  

Lauren and Nat were great friends and the gallons of ice cream they ate sounded like me and my friends.  There was lots of love in this story, not just romantic love, but family love.  The siblings, the aunts, the other family members and friends made for an interesting group of characters, but like I said before it was a bit too many for one book.  I find fantasy is big on many characters and I don’t like to work that hard to follow a story line.  I may be a lazy reader. 

I found parts of the story wound drag and I would put the book down for awhile.  I did feel that it was long, almost too long.  The end was worth the journey, but I almost didn’t make it.  The writing was good, and the story was different, but maybe less going on in only one book next time.

If you enjoy paranormal stories and lots of great and varied characters you may like this book.  Fantasy is not really my thing, but I do enjoy paranormal. 

Publisher:  Published March 12th 2011 by Fireweed Publishing

Copyright: 2011

Pages:  Kindle Edition

ISBN: B004RZ2660

Quick Review:  3 Stars out of 5. 

Why I Read it:  The publisher sent this book for a review.

Where I Obtained the Book:  Sent from the publisher to my Kindle.

Synopsis:  Can you live 28 years without discovering you're a witch?

Lauren is downtown Chicago's youngest elite realtor. She's also a witch. She must be - the fetching spell for Witches' Chat isn't supposed to make mistakes. So says the woman who coded the spell, at least.
The tall, dark, and handsome guy sent to assess her is a witch too (and no, that doesn't end the way you might think). What he finds in Lauren will change lives, mess with a perfectly good career, and require lots of ice cream therapy.

A MODERN WITCH is a full length novel, 81,000 words or about 300 pages.

DEBORA GEARY is working on three more books expected out in spring 2011, if the kids don't spill any more water on her laptop.

Author Biography:  I'm Debora Geary, happily indie author of several more books expected out in 2011, if the kids don't spill any more water on my laptop.

Coming soon:
Second book in A Modern Witch series
Two more Novel Nibbles (snack-sized reads)
Cat Moves to Outer Space (first in kids' chapter book series)
Please visit www.deborageary.com and sign up for my new releases email list if you'd like to hear when new books come out!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer for all reviews sent by the publisher, publicist or author for review.

THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION (FTC) ISSUED NEW RULES THAT WENT INTO EFFECT ON DECEMBER 1, 2009. THESE RULES STATE THAT PRODUCT REVIEWERS ON BLOGS MUST DISCLOSE WHETHER THEY RECEIVED REVIEW PRODUCTS FOR FREE OR RECEIVED MONETARY PAYMENT FOR SUCH REVIEWS. PAYMENT IS NEVER ACCEPTED IN EXCHANGE FOR A REVIEW OR BOOK MENTION UNLESS NOTED IN THE POST. THE RECEIPT OF ARCS OR FREE REVIEW COPIES IN NO WAY INFLUENCES OR HAS AN IMPACT ON THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THE BOOK REVIEWS POSTED ON THIS SITE.