Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Book Review - Soul Quest - Amy Jones

Book Review - Soul Quest - Amy Jones



Author:  Amy Jones

Review:  
The good:  The book was in the first person and the chapters were titled with whose point of view we were reading.  The story was interesting with creatures I had not heard of before.  The guardian angels were sweet with the way they took care of their charges.  The four ninth graders, the story revolves around, had normal busy lives and then this new responsibility thrust on them.  They rose to the occasion and I think the next book will be even better.  It is scary to think that the world we know rests in the hands of four teenagers.

The bad:  I found a few chapters to be repeats of each other, the author used the different characters point of view but it felt repeated and unnecessary. I also found those chapters confusing. 

Honest Review:  Different and new characters, not the same old thing.  Paranormal good vs. evil and I think it is a good start.  The next books should be better since the stage is set in this one.  I read this on a bus with 50 teenagers(HS trip to Boston) and it was interesting enough for me to shut all their noise out.

Amy I enjoyed your story and your characters.  A few issues with the repeated chapters, I think one chapter could have been enough for that section.  I understand you wanted to put down each characters feelings about meeting each other, but another way without the repeating would be easier to read and understand.  Thank you for allowing me this opportunity and good luck with your writing.  I look forward to reading the next book.

Publisher: Published February 19th 2011

ASIN: B004OL26JY

Copyright: 2011

Quick Review: 31/2 stars (out of 5)

Why I Read It:  The author was looking for readers to review her new book.

Where I Obtained the Book:  The author sent me a code to download this book.  I read it on my Kindle.

Synopsis:  Do you remember how horrified you were about the idea of attending high school? I remember ticking off those last miserable days of my summer vacation following my eighth grade year. Maybe you don’t, maybe you were one of 'those people.' You know who I’m talking about, people like Melissa Small, the distinguished District Attorney, Larry Small’s daughter, popular, gorgeous... and absolutely terrifying to someone like me, Liv Glyn. No, I am far from measuring up to the standards required to make Melissa’s crowd. I’m not even close. I’m just a simple man’s daughter, mostly tolerated by my peers with average looks. If this isn’t depressing enough for you, stay tuned, it gets worse. I was commanded with Spirit at birth by the Great Spirit, Hala. I know, it sounds crazy but it’s true. If you think it's difficult being a teenager, try being a teenager who was born destined to save the world from soul sucking Daevas and their mutant progeny Aengels. There are four of us. My companions of Spirit are Laith, Brayan and Meena. Melissa Small is Laith’s step sister and she is always meddling where she doesn’t belong, further complicating our lives. To make matters even worse, my best friend Jedd is apparently aware of things that are typically undetectable to ordinary humans. So, I have to lie to Jedd, the boy who has been my constant standby since the third grade, to shield him from the horrible and very dangerous truth. Did I mention that I think I’m falling in love with him? The term awkward doesn’t even begin to cover it, trust me. Welcome to the mess that is my life.

Author Biography:   In Amy’s voice, I am a 1993 graduate of The University of North Carolina at Greensboro where I received a Bachelor of Science degree in Dance Education. I have seventeen years of experience in education and currently teach Dance and Theater Arts to high school students in southeastern North Carolina. Dancing, acting and writing are all forms of communication. Each form requires exceptional creativity and passion to inspire and impress an audience. I have enjoyed a passion for reading, writing, and the arts since I was a child. As an adult I’ve enjoyed having the opportunity to share my passion for the arts with children. It only seems appropriate that delving into the world of teen fiction would be the next logical step in my life.

Other Reviews:



1 comment:

  1. Lisa, thanks so much for your honesty and insight on Soul Quest. I appreciate your praises and critical reflection. I'm so glad you enjoyed SQ. I anticipate publishing the second book in August 2011.

    Smiles,
    Amy Jones (SQ author)

    PS - My Mom said the same thing about the 'Point of view' chapters. I've heard mixed reactions to this choice. Some don't like it, some do.

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer for all reviews sent by the publisher, publicist or author for review.

THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION (FTC) ISSUED NEW RULES THAT WENT INTO EFFECT ON DECEMBER 1, 2009. THESE RULES STATE THAT PRODUCT REVIEWERS ON BLOGS MUST DISCLOSE WHETHER THEY RECEIVED REVIEW PRODUCTS FOR FREE OR RECEIVED MONETARY PAYMENT FOR SUCH REVIEWS. PAYMENT IS NEVER ACCEPTED IN EXCHANGE FOR A REVIEW OR BOOK MENTION UNLESS NOTED IN THE POST. THE RECEIPT OF ARCS OR FREE REVIEW COPIES IN NO WAY INFLUENCES OR HAS AN IMPACT ON THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THE BOOK REVIEWS POSTED ON THIS SITE.