Wednesday, March 2, 2011

HEX: A Witch and Angel Tale - Ramona Wray





Title: HEX: A Witch and Angel Tale

Author: Ramona Wray

Review: I liked this book quite a bit. The beginning confused me a bit and I almost put it down, but all I had to do were the dishes so I kept reading. It wasn’t long before I was caught up in the story and I finished it that same evening.

I think paranormal is a great genre, as an author you can do anything and make anything up you want. No rules and no boundaries. This author chooses to use a witch and an old curse. The instrument, of death in the curse, is of all things an angel. I like the idea of an angel here on earth and what consequences that may have for all of us. The characters, once you got past the rocky beginning, really took on a life of their own. Ryder was a bit sappy, but in a sexy Edward Cullen way. Lucian was tough, think Damon in Vampire Dairies, yet soft around the edges. Lily was just plain confused and not sure what to believe or who to trust. Her BFF J. was less developed, but as most BFF’s go she did okay.

Past lives and curses made the story interesting, and a bit of jealousy made it cute.If you like magic, paranormal and am sick of vampires. Give this book a chance, I think it will surprise you.

I would like to encourage Ramona to put this on the Kindle or Nook for about 1-2 dollars. The amount of downloads will be surprising.

Publisher: CreateSpace February 2011

ISBN: 9781452871578

Copyright: 2011

Pages: 254

Quick Review: 3 1/2 stars (out of 5)

Why I Read It: I won this on Goodreads.

Where I Obtained the Book: From the Author(it’s a signed copy).

Synopsis: Like most girls at Rosemound High School, seventeen-year-old Lily Crane is acutely aware of Ryder Kingscott. Hands down the cutest guy in school, Ryder is cool, mysterious, and utterly untouchable…especially for Lily. For when she touches someone, Lily instantly learns all about their lives. And while such a skill might seem nifty, in truth it is wrecking Lily’s life. So she is shocked when Ryder asks her out — and even more shocked to discover he has a rival. Lucian Bell is the gorgeous new kid who can’t take his eyes off of Lily. Being pursued by two hotties should make a girl happy, but Lily is skeptical. The boys act as if they’ve met before, hating each other with a passion that could only be rooted in a dark, dangerous past. A past full of terrible secrets. The kind of secrets that could get a girl killed.


Author Biography: I was brought up in Romania by my grandparents, a couple of fantastic storytellers who filled my childhood with magic and stories about witches (vrajitoare), vampires (vampiri), fairies (iele or zane) and so much more. I grew up with a strong sense of the supernatural and from that to sitting down at a desk and crafting my own fantastic tales was only a small step, which I took early. I wrote poetry, even a few novels, short stories and essays, some of which occasionally appeared in the local newspapers.

The fall of the Communist bloc in 1989 brought about a great deal of change in Romania. To this day, the younger generations have welcomed and continue to welcome the opportunity to work and live abroad. It was what I chose for myself as well.

Ten years later, I'm married, mother to one little boy and currently living in Plymouth. For the past decade I lived in a few places, traveled to a few others, and learned, and adapted, all the while searching for a place to fit in. There has been a lot of change, but the important things stayed the same. They usually do...I never stopped writing, no matter where I went or what I did. Switching from Romanian to English has taken some time, but today I couldn't even imagine going back. It's important to chase our dreams, no matter what stands in the way, and the only way to do it is by moving forward. Always forward.

I read, write (and sometimes even breathe) YA fiction and my own contribution to the genre comes in a blend of romance, paranormal, and thriller. My first published novel, Hex, a witch & angel tale, is both a supernatural romance and a mystery.

Other Reviews:

The Book Pixie

Uniquely Moi Books

My Overstuffed Bookshelf


No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer for all reviews sent by the publisher, publicist or author for review.

THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION (FTC) ISSUED NEW RULES THAT WENT INTO EFFECT ON DECEMBER 1, 2009. THESE RULES STATE THAT PRODUCT REVIEWERS ON BLOGS MUST DISCLOSE WHETHER THEY RECEIVED REVIEW PRODUCTS FOR FREE OR RECEIVED MONETARY PAYMENT FOR SUCH REVIEWS. PAYMENT IS NEVER ACCEPTED IN EXCHANGE FOR A REVIEW OR BOOK MENTION UNLESS NOTED IN THE POST. THE RECEIPT OF ARCS OR FREE REVIEW COPIES IN NO WAY INFLUENCES OR HAS AN IMPACT ON THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THE BOOK REVIEWS POSTED ON THIS SITE.