Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Book Review - Angelology - Danielle Trussoni


Title: Angelology


Review: This book was interesting. I found it fast to read regardless of its large size. The link between the nuns and the Rockefellers pulled history into its pages, along with the story from WWII and the first expedition to the cavern. I was drawn in and looked forward to the climax. The cast of characters were diverse and different from the norm. Angelology was explained, it's quite an interesting discipline along with the history the author created made their world come to life.

As I approached the end I was concerned that there were not enough pages left to give the book a good ending and I’m sorry to say I was right. I realize that this was only number one, but I do not feel the book had an ending that was satisfying to me as a reader. It made the book feel rushed. The next book I imagine will start off right where this one left off, but I felt robbed at the end of this one. The story was detailed, long and then bam it was over. The end also did not mesh with what we had learned about Evangeline, her whole character changed in the blink of an eye and that was hard to swallow. I have high hopes for the next one, but then again I had high hopes for this one.

If you enjoy interesting stories weaved in and out of historical fact, you may enjoy this book. If you think you may like this, wait for the next one before reading this one, that way you don’t have to wonder what the heck? I do want to know what happens to Evangeline and the rest of the Angelologists, but then again by the time the next book comes out I may not even remember why. This series would be better read all together. At least that is what I hope.


I've read a few other reviews and I would like to know what you think.  Did you like the end?  Will you read the next one?  Thanks for your comments.

Publisher: March 9th 2010 by Viking Adult

ISBN: 0670021474

Copyright: 2010

Pages: 464

Quick Review: 3 stars (out of 5), the story deserves a 3, and the end deserves a 1.

Why I Read It: David brought it home from the library, he thought it sounded like something I would enjoy.

Where I Obtained the Book: From our local library, I’m glad I didn’t waste money on it.

Synopsis: Sister Evangeline was just a girl when her father entrusted her to the Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration in upstate New York. Now twenty-three‚ her discovery of a 1943 letter from philanthropist Abigail Rockefeller to the late Mother Superior of Saint Rose Convent plunges Evangeline into a secret history that stretches back a thousand years: an ancient conflict between the Society of Angelologists and the monstrously beautiful descendants of angels and humans‚ the Nephilim.



Author Biography: Trussoni graduated from University of Wisconsin–Madison summa cum laude with a BA in History and English (1996) and the Iowa Writers' Workshop, where she received an MFA in Fiction Writing (2002). Her work has appeared in The New York Times Magazine, Telegraph Magazine, The New York Times Book Review and Tin House, among other publications.

Falling Through the Earth: A Memoir was chosen by The New York Times as one of the Ten Best Books of 2006. Falling Through the Earth was recipient of the Michener-Copernicus Society of America Award, the Elle Magazine’s Reader’s Choice Award for April 2006 and was chosen as a Book Sense Pick for March 2006 and as part of Barnes & Noble’s Discover Great New Writers Program

Trussoni was a visiting writer-in-residence at Shake Rag Alley in Mineral Point, Wisconsin from September 2008 through May 2009

Other Reviews:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer for all reviews sent by the publisher, publicist or author for review.

THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION (FTC) ISSUED NEW RULES THAT WENT INTO EFFECT ON DECEMBER 1, 2009. THESE RULES STATE THAT PRODUCT REVIEWERS ON BLOGS MUST DISCLOSE WHETHER THEY RECEIVED REVIEW PRODUCTS FOR FREE OR RECEIVED MONETARY PAYMENT FOR SUCH REVIEWS. PAYMENT IS NEVER ACCEPTED IN EXCHANGE FOR A REVIEW OR BOOK MENTION UNLESS NOTED IN THE POST. THE RECEIPT OF ARCS OR FREE REVIEW COPIES IN NO WAY INFLUENCES OR HAS AN IMPACT ON THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THE BOOK REVIEWS POSTED ON THIS SITE.